Ideas for Families
Big Ideas for Familes
From Beth Teitelman, 92Y’s Director of Scholarship Services, and Fretta Reitzes, Director of 92Y’s Wonderplay Initiative and Goldman Center for Youth & Family. Beth and Fretta are the co-authors of Wonderplay and Wonderplay, Too!
- Have a family conversation about your favorite foods and the healthy foods you having been trying to eat. Take some of those foods from your cabinets (non perishable) and bring them to your local food pantry.
- Home Treasure Hunt! Look in your closets at home …kitchen tools, dishes, towels and sheets, toys, books, school supplies. Collect what is not being used, what hasn’t been used in a long time, and the extras you have, and donate to a program that sets up families in new homes.
- “Change of Season” – At the beginning of each new season, think of one specific item that is needed. For instance, gloves and hats for winter, socks for fall, T-shirts for summer, etc. Do a collection in your neighborhood, building, or school for just that one item and donate. The younger children enjoy counting up the number of items that have been collected.
- Hold a neighborhood yard or bake sale and donate proceeds to an organization in need.
- For an entire week or two, everyone in the family skips the “extras” Take the money you would have spent on after school treats, a special ice cream, or coffees from your favorite vendor, and collect it all in a jar. Watch it mount and donate to your local food pantry to help others get the essentials foods they need.
- Teach the next generation about the importance of pro bono service. Read them Mommy and Daddy do it Pro Bono to introduce all the budding professionals in your life to pro bono.
Watch our Google+ Hangout on families getting involved in philanthropy, teaching young kids about the importance of giving back.
Want more? Check out these tips and ideas:
- How to help children understand giving during the holiday season,
- Tips from Charity Navigator’s CEO on how to give wisely on #GivingTuesday
- Learn more about how to get your family involved in #GivingTuesday from our 2012 #GivingTuesday Google+ Hangout.